What Is EB-3 Visa? Guide To Visa Application And Processing


Are you a licensed nurse? Are you considering relocating to the United States to work and live? If you're a nurse hoping to work in the United States, you'll come across the word "EB-3," which stands for Employment-Based Immigration: Third Preference Visa, at some point throughout the application process. The green card is the most frequent name for it. 

Why does the EB-3 visa type appear in almost every nurse visa petition? 

It's easy to understand. The EB-3 visa improves your chances of getting your visa petition approved. Here's some information to consider if you want to learn more about this type of visa.

Who qualifies for the EB3 category?

EB-3 (Employment-Based Immigration) is the third preference. If you are a skilled worker, professional, or other worker, you may be qualified for this immigrant visa priority category. "Skilled employees" are people who work in positions that need at least two years of training or experience and are not temporary or seasonal.

What Are the Requirements for EB3 Visas? 

Three items are required for an EB3 permanent resident visa:

  • An unfilled position.
    • The existing scarcity of nurses in the United States already meets this need.
  • A skilled worker.
    • You can apply for this form of visa as a skilled worker if you have a nursing degree.
  • A person who submits a petition.
    • Every qualified worker must have a petitioner who can file an I-140 petition with the government and show that they will be able to pay them after they arrive in the United States.

Steps To Consider When Applying For The EB-3 Visa

The process of obtaining a green card for nurses can be difficult. To help you through the process below is a description of the sponsorship procedure for international nurses who can manage the application and eventually get the petition approved.

  1. Complete the education and licensing requirements in your nation, which include graduating from a recognized Registered Nursing (RN) program, becoming licensed as an RN in your country, and working as an RN for at least two years, preferably longer. Working in a specialty area, such as critical care, OR, ER, or labor and delivery, can be beneficial.
  2. Pass an English language exam, preferably the TOEFL or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
  3. Make an application for a license in the state where you plan to work. There is no national nursing license in the United States; each of the 50 states licenses its own nurses. Because you will not have a Social Security number until you arrive in the United States, getting a state license will be difficult. However, the state licensing board should send you a statement saying that you would be eligible for a license if you didn't have a Social Security number. That will be sufficient for obtaining a visa through immigration. Once you've arrived in the United States, you can apply for a Social Security number and a nursing license.
  4. Pass the NCLEX RN.
  5. Find a contracting opportunity with a U.S. employer or recruiter. Consider your options carefully because this is a significant partnership with financial ramifications if you choose to end the contract early. Get names of agencies/employers from your government's employment department, or ask your nursing friends for recommendations. Filipinos can look for legitimate nursing jobs through the Philippines Overseas Employment Administration. Those listed have been vetted by the government. Paying money to a scam or false agency or employer should be avoided at all costs.
  6. The I-140 petition is then filed by the employer or agency/employer. An I-140 petition is a three-step process for obtaining permanent residency.
    • First, the employer must file a petition with the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USCIS). Citizenship and Immigration Services is a department of the United States Department of Homeland Security. 
    • If the petition is approved, the papers are sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), which will keep them until a visa becomes available, at which point they will request your documentation (such as birth, marriage, and police certificates) in order to prepare the case for the embassy.
    • Finally, the papers are sent to the embassy or consulate in the nation where you are currently residing, where medical exams and interviews will be conducted.
  7. Obtain a VisaScreen certificate, which is good for five years, as your priority date approaches. Your education, training, licensing, and English proficiency are all verified and certified. The VisaScreen is only good for 5 years, so if it expires before you immigrate, you will need to re-certify.

The US has classified professions such as nursing under the EB-3 Visa, which is one of many categories of immigration visas. The EB-3 Visa allows foreign workers who have found a willing company to hire them to permanently work and live in the United States. It also allows the worker to bring their dependents along with them.


Share This Post